The co-founders of Giganews, a popular Usenet provider, launched VyprVPN in 2009 after learning about Room 641A, a warrantless surveillance facility operated by AT&T on behalf of the NSA.
For this reason, the founders chose to incorporate their business in Switzerland, where privacy laws are stronger than they are in the U.S. But just because VyprVPN was created by privacy advocates, does that necessarily mean their service is safe?
In this VyprVPN review, we’ll take a closer look.
VyprVPN Software Overview
- Boasts more than 200,000 IP addresses on 700 servers in more than 70 countries.
- In terms of protocols, VyprVPN uses OpenVPN, L2TP/IPsec, and PPTP.
- The company owns all of its own hardware and doesn’t rely on any third parties.
- Unlike other VPN providers, VyprVPN doesn’t offer static or dedicated IP addresses.
- The software’s interface is easy to navigate, but it’s not as polished as other VPN providers.
- It’s easy to stream high-def video, but file transfers aren’t always super speedy.
- Currently offers only one type of plan rather than different tiers of service.
- There’s no free trial, but customers can get a full refund within 30 days.
- Independently audited and doesn’t conduct any logging or sell user data.
- Works with all major operating systems and many lesser-known OSs as well.
- The month-to-month plan is pricey, but longer-term plans are highly affordable.
- VyprVPN’s Chameleon Protocol lets users bypass restricted networks.
- Customers are allowed to create five simultaneous connections, all of which are P2P friendly.
- Advanced features include a killswitch and public Wi-Fi protection.
- Uses virtual servers, whereas other companies exclusively use physical servers.
Top VPN Tools | Updated: April 2021Advertisement: Sponsored Listings
Is VyprVPN safe?
VyprVPN takes security and privacy as seriously as any major VPN provider. After all, that’s why the founders of the company chose to headquarter the business in Switzerland.
VyprVPN requires your name and email address for signup and billing, and they retain that information to make servicing their customers easier. This billing process does not affect your data stream nor your anonymity overall when using their VPN service. To provide more security however, some VPN providers make it possible to sign up without requiring users to reveal details about their identity.
How to Use VyprVPN
If you’re ready to get started with VyprVPN, you’ll be pleased to hear that it’s easy to get up and running regardless of what operating system you use. Here’s an overview of how to install and use VyprVPN.
- Begin by signing up for an account at VyprVPN.com. You’ll need to provide your name, an email address, a password, and your billing information.
- Next, choose the VyprVPN download that matches your operating system. VyprVPN has apps for Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, and lesser-known operating systems such as QNAP, Blackphone, and Anonabox. You can also configure your router or Linux machine to use VyprVPN. If you’re using a Chromebook, you can download the VyprVPN APK from VyprVPN’s website, then install the app via Android on Chrome OS.
- Once you’ve installed VyprVPN, launch the app, select a server, tweak the settings to your liking, and you’re good to go.
Features Unique to VyprVPN
While VyprVPN includes a robust set of features similar to many other top-tier VPN providers, one area where VyprVPN sets itself apart from the competition is its Chameleon tool.
The VyprVPN Chameleon Tool is a feature that allows users to bypass VPN blockers that many streaming services use. It’s important to note, however, that the Chameleon feature isn’t available on iOS as Apple devices are restricted to using IPsec protocol.
It’s also important to note that VyprVPN as a standalone product does not support static or dedicated IP addresses. The company does offer VyprVPN Cloud, which gives business customers access to a static address or a VyprVPN dedicated IP address.
Speed Review & Average Speed When Connected
Along with security and privacy, speed is among the most important considerations when reviewing VPN services. In our tests, VyprVPN allowed us to stream high-definition videos without any hiccups, but we did notice a small drop in our connection speeds with some servers while we were transferring large files.
VyprVPN Server Information
For some people, the most important aspects of VPN providers are the number of servers they offer and where the servers are located. VyprVPN has more than 700 servers in more than 70 countries, offering more than 200,000 IP addresses.
This isn’t as many servers as other leading VPN providers offer, but VyprVPN does own and operate 100% of its servers rather than relying on third-parties.
How Reliable is VyprVPN and How About Downtime?
During our time testing VyprVPN, we didn’t encounter any issues in terms of our connection reliability, and we were never unable to connect to a VyprVPN server. It’s true that people using VyprVPN in China in 2020 reported unreliable connections when using the iOS app, but we didn’t experience any such issues in our testing in April 2021.
Technical Support & Customer Support
If you ever experience any issues with VyprVPN not connecting, you have a few options in terms of support. Your first stop should be Golden Frog’s support site — the company behind VyprVPN — where you’ll find a FAQ, setup instructions, and troubleshooting tips.
If you still can’t resolve your issue, you can email the company or chat with a support specialist in real-time.
VyprVPN Compatibility with Devices and Streaming Services
VyprVPN is compatible with just about every modern computing platform. Here’s a list of several and devices and operating systems that work with VyprVPN:
- Samsung TVs
- Android tablets.
VyprVPN also works with lesser-known OSs including QNAP, Blackphone, and Anonabox.
VyprVPN doesn’t offer a browser extension, but Chromebook users can install the Android version of the app. And as far as streaming services are concerned, you can use VyprVPN to connect to Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime, and the service works with Chromecasts and the Amazon Fire TV Stick.
VyprVPN for Torrenting
Is torrenting important to you? If so, you’ll be pleased to know that VyprVPN doesn’t restrict users from engaging in P2P file sharing. The company does not log or retain data from VPN sessions, nor does the app prevent the use of any ports.
ProtonVPN vs VyprVPN
Both of these VPNs are highly rated and reviewed, yet they’re not exactly equal on all fronts. Here are a few of the biggest differences and similarities when comparing ProtonVPN vs VyprVPN.
- VyprVPN has servers in 70 countries, whereas ProtonVPN only has servers in 40 countries.
- Both ProtonVPN and VyprVPN are headquartered in Switzerland.
- ProtonVPN has different tiers of plans, while VyprVPN has just one plan for all customers.
- ProtonVPN offers a 7-day free trial, while VyprVPN offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Both VPNs are easy to install and setup, but ProtonVPN has a sleeker interface
Is VyprVPN Good? Conclusion & Closing Thoughts
So what’s the verdict? Does VyprVPN actually deliver on the company’s promises? Absolutely.
While other VPN providers offer more servers in more locations, VyprVPN goes above and beyond when it comes to security and privacy. At $12.95 per month, the monthly plan isn’t exactly cheap, but the one- and two-year plans are very reasonably priced.
Plus, if you’re not happy with the service, you can get a full refund during the first 30 days.
So what have you got to lose? Give VyprVPN a shot to see if the service meets your needs.